Saturday 18 February 2012

Free Pattern: Crocodile Stitch Baby Mittens

Proclaiming my love of the crocodile stitch once again!  Here is my pattern for baby mittens with a crocodile stitch cuff - please see the blog post for my pattern for Crocodile Stitch Booties for links to tutorials on the stitch.



Crocodile Stitch Baby Mittens

Size: 0-6 months

Materials per Mitten
·      25g of yarn (I used dk Special by Stylecraft in shades 'Pomegranate' and ‘Cream’)
·      3mm crochet hook

Stitches used:
st(s) – stitch(es)
ch – chain stitch
hdc – half double crochet
sl st - slip stitch

Special stitches used:
v st - work one hdc, ch 1 and hdc again into same st
fphdc – yo and insert hook from the front to the back around the post of the hdc of previous row. Complete as for a regular hdc stitch.

NB. This pattern works from the tip of the fingers towards the wrist.

Ch 4, join to form ring


Rnd 1: Ch 2, work 9 hdc into centre of the ring, join (10hdc)

Rnd 2: Ch 2 work hdc in same st, work 2hdc in each st around, join. (20hdc)

Rnds 3-10: Ch 2, work hdc in each st around, join.  (20hdc)

Rnd 11: Ch 1, sc in same st, *ch 1, skip 1 st, sc in next st* . Work * to * around. join to first sc.

Rnd 12: Ch 3, hdc in same stitch,* skip 1 ch, v st in next ch, rep from * around into ch1 space of row below; join with sl st in top of first hdc. – (make sure that you have 10 v sts)

Rnd 13:Ch 2 (counts as a hdc), working from top to bottom around post of first hdc of first V-st, work 3 fphdc, turn work so v st is sideways, working from bottom to top around post of second hdc of v st, work 4 fphdc , * skip next v st, working from top to bottom work 4 fphdc around post of first hdc of next v st, ch 1, turn work so v st is sideways, working from bottom to top around post of second hdc of v st, work 4 fphdc, rep from * around; join with sl st in top of first hdc.- (5 scales in total)

Rnd 14:
Ch 3, hdc in same st, yo, insert hook in sp in the centre of the scales below and complete a v st, *v st in next ch 1 sp, yo, insert hook in sp in the centre of the scales below and complete a v st, repeat from * to * around;  join with sl st in top of first hdc - (10 v sts)

Rnd 15: Repeat rnd 13 into alternate v st


Fasten off.



Ties: Hold together cream yarn and pink yarn, ch 50 tightly, weave through ch spaces in row11.

Make another!

I hope you like this pattern! If you have any problems with it please don't hesitate to comment below and I'll see if I can help!

Text and images by L Tegg. This pattern cannot be reproduced or distributed -mechanically, electronically, or by any other means, including photocopying, without written permission. Finished products created with this pattern may be used for commercial sale.

2 comments:

  1. I love your pattern! I crochet for charity (Gods Tiny Angels) and would like to print this pattern to keep in my file. Obviously for charity use only. I am having trouble printing a copy. Would you mind sending me a copy that I can print? I do not sell any item I make. All items are for charity or gift giving. Please contact me via email at:
    utcrochetgal@yahoo.com
    Thank you, Marianne

    ReplyDelete