Wednesday 15 February 2012

The crocodile stitch & my gorgeous little crocodile stitch booties!



I recently discovered the beautiful crocodile stitch! It's makes such beautiful luxurious pieces!

I started with a scarf and have progressed to other items, including the bootie pattern below, again for my future niece/nephew!

Initially it can be difficult to get your head around the crocodile stitch but with the help of a couple of brilliant tutorials (linked to below) you can master it! And once you have you'll find that it's really quite easy and there'll be no stopping you!



What is the crocodile crochet stitch?


The stitch is formed with a two-row repeat, a row of v stitches, followed by a row of scales. The scales are worked in front of the v sitches with clusters of front post half double crochets (fphdcs) from top to bottom, then from bottom to top.


A good video tutorial can be viewed here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbewLEjax1I - although please note the changes from the pattern used below - i.e. the amount of stitches worked and front post hdc's as opposed to dc's as my pattern is for little people!

A written tutorial on the stitch plus photographs can be found at: http://cats-rockin-crochet.blogspot.com/2011/08/crochet-crocodile-stitch-adult-hat.html - plus another free crocodile crochet pattern for a hat!




FREE PATTERN!!!

Cute Little Crocodile Crochet Booties!


Size: 0-6 months, app. 10 cm foot length.

Materials per bootie:
25g of yarn in one colour (I used dk Special by Stylecraft, shade 1218 'Parchment')
4mm crochet hook

Stitches used:
st(s) – stitch(es)
ch – chain stitch
hdc – half double crochet
sl st - slip stitch

Special stitches used:
v st - work one hdc, ch 1 and hdc again into same st
fphdc – yo and insert hook from the front to the back around the post of the hdc of previous row. Complete as for a regular hdc stitch.

NB. This pattern works the toe of the bootie towards the heel.

Rnd 1: Ch2 (remember the loop you put on the hook is not classed as a ch), join with sl st in first ch to form a circle.

Rnd 2: Ch2 (counts as first hdc), hdc 9 into centre of circle, join with sl st to first st (10 hdc in total)

Rnd 3: Ch2, 1hdc in same st, then 2 hdc in each st around the work, join with sl st to first st (20 hdc in total)

Rnd 4: Ch2, ch1 and hdc in same st *skip next st, then work a v stitch in next st*, repeat from * to * around, join final v st to first with sl st.  This row and rows 5 to 8 form the toe area of the bootie.

Rnd 5 - 8: Repeat row 4 working the v st in each ch 1 space of the row belows v st





Rnd 9: Ch2, ch1, hdc in same st, then work six further v stitches into ch 1 spaces on the row below, turn the work (this row and following two form the side and back of bootie).

Rnds 10 - 12: Ch2, ch1, hdc in same space, then v st into each of the seven v st ch 1 spaces below*



Now pull together both sides of heel and using several sc's connect them, working through all four loops.



Turn the bootie inside out.  Fasten off.

Now for the fun bit!  The Crocodile Crochet Cuff!

To make bootie's cuff you should begin by attaching the yarn in the middle of the heel.

Rnd 1: Ch 3, hdc in same stitch,* skip 1 ch, v st in next ch, rep from * around; join with sl st in top of first hdc. – (make sure that you have 10 v sts)

Rnd 2:
Ch 2 (counts as a hdc), working from top to bottom around post of first hdc of first V-st, work 3 fphdc, turn work so v st is sideways, ch 1, working from bottom to top around post of second hdc of v st, work 4 fphdc , * skip next v st, working from top to bottom work 4 fphdc around post of first hdc of next v st, ch 1, turn work so v st is sideways, working from bottom to top around post of second hdc of v st, work 4 fphdc, rep from * around; join with sl st in top of first hdc.- (5 scales in total)

Rnd 3:
Ch 3, hdc in same st, yo, insert hook in sp in the centre of the scales below and complete a v st, *v st in next ch 1 sp, yo, insert hook in sp in the centre of the scales below and complete a v st, repeat from * to * around;  join with sl st in top of first hdc - (9 v sts)

Rnd 4: Repeat rnd 2 into alternate v st

Rnd 5: Repeat rnd 3

Rnd 6: Repeat rnd 2 into alternate v st

Fasten off!











Make another!


I hope you like this pattern!  If you have any problems with it please don't hesitate to comment below and I'll see if I can help!

Text and images by L Tegg. This pattern cannot be reproduced or distributed -
mechanically, electronically, or by any other means, including photocopying, without
written permission. Finished products created with this pattern may be used for
commercial sale.

47 comments:

  1. Working on this pattern right now. Can't wait to share. Will give credit where credit is due with a link to here. Thank you kindly for such a cute bootie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty, thank you so much for your lovely comment! You're the first person to let me know that they're making something from my patterns! It's so exciting! Let me know where I can see them won't you! Thanks again! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished them. They turned out beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful pattern.

      http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=300284460035134&set=a.300284406701806.73812.216364268427154&type=1

      Delete
    2. Hi Misty! I couldn't open the pics via that link but I did find them on your Etsy page! They're beautiful! So glad that the pattern worked for you! It's brilliant to see the first items anyone's made and published from my pattern! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I have just finished making one of these myself. Have to get more yarn to make the other. crocodile stitch had me confused at first ad had to redo the cuff but got it figured out. They look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for your post! So pleased to hear that you are pleased with the pattern and the finished bootie!

      Delete
    2. Please help me on the crocodile stitch. I have tried EVERYTHING but can't seem to figure it out. I don't understand the fphdc thing. Thanks

      Delete
    3. I finally figured out the crocodile stitch! Woohoo! Yay me! Thanks anyway guys! I love this pattern! I think I will start using this pattern more! Thanks for posting!

      Delete
  4. I was going to tackle this myself and came across yours! Wonderful! I just finished one and the pattern was easy to follow (i do already know how to crocodile stitch) and it turned out adorable! I did a rainbow type yarn :). On to number 2! Thank you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebecca! Thank you so much for your lovely comment! If you're on Ravelry, please post pics - it's wonderful to see items made with my patterns! It means a great deal to me that you dedicated your skill and time to crochet a pair of these little booties! Thanks again! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what I have been looking for. The booties are gorgeous & I will be starting them as soon as I have whittled my WIP's down a bit. Thank you so much for posting the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it...it is so awesome,can't wait to make it.Thanks for share the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been looking forever for a SIMPLE but beautiful pattern, and I stumbled across yours. I love these, and by using a size 8 (1.5 mm) steel crochet hook and size 30 crochet thread, they make a beautiful preemie bootie, which I, in turn, donate to local hospitals for their NICU department. Thank you again!!! I should have a picture of the ones I'm working on now in zebra verigated thread on my FB page: Mom's Old Fashioned Gifts by Tuesday, if you'd like to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there an easy way to make this into an adult size? I'm not terribly good at this sort of thing. Any help would be awesome! My email is dawnmichelle3@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could carry on increasing in rounds until big enough for your toes and then work v stitches straight up to your ankle, then work half of those for the heel bit. I actually started a pair for myself like this and they had 18 v stitches for the scales around the ankle.

      Alternatively you could follow another free slipper pattern like this one http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/pattern.php?id=3977&lang=us and work 18 v stitches for the scales around the ankles.

      Hope this is helpful! :)

      Delete
    2. thank you for the pattern and the info for the bigger size. These are so cute.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for making this pattern available!!! I've been looking for it for a while now. Can't wait to do these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SUPER CUTE!!!!! just made the first one and now on to the next :D thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute booties :) I remember my little brother when he was born. I gave him a pair of booties. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must have to thick of yarn, the bootie toe part is way too big.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to give this a try...but for adult size booties. It sure is pretty

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made these today and they are perfect! Thankyou so much for the pattern! I've included a link to my finished booties made with your pattern if you'd like to see them :)
    Thanks again!!
    http://quirkycraftingshmooglebean.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/itty-bitty-crocodile-stitch-booties-ftw.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made one today, and will be starting the second one, but I wanted to show you. I'm really new to crochet. The part of the pattern that states:

    "Now pull together both sides of heel and using several sc's connect them, working through all four loops."

    ...was very confusing for me b/c it wasn't spelled out explicitly. I winged it, and I'm not sure if I did it right. Is the heal supposed to look like this?
    http://i.imgur.com/O8TWvsU.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  18. I finished them! Here are my crappy photos:
    http://dandelionsunrise.blogspot.com/2013/07/crocheted-baby-booties.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I seem to be having a problem that maybe you can help me with. I've gotten the crocodile stitch down with no problem. I'm having an issue with the foot. My bootie foot is much too wide. I'm using an F needle (the smallest I have) and fingering weight yarn but still the toe is too big it doesn't look at all like you pictures. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found these a few days ago and fell in love with them. I think someone from knitting paradise forum provided the link. My 1st grandchild should be born this Friday, so I just had to make them for her since I had made her mom a pair of crocodile house slippers this past Christmas. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. If you would like to take a look at the finished booties, you can find them here: http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-192604-1.html#3789790

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been looking for this pattern everywhere and I am so excited that I found yours. I am having a problem though when I get to rounds 5-8. It'll be nice and tight but when I get to these rounds it starts to go out in a trumpet shape, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Help please! I really want to make these booties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem Samantha, a stich count for each row would have been helpful on the pattern.

      Delete
  22. are these the same as the very colorful ones that are larger?

    ReplyDelete
  23. How would I adjust this for a smaller size? Say 8-9 cm?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just found out my daughter is pregnant (first time!) and am going to try these. Thank you for posting this.I have been told I must master this for her because she wants them made in tons of colors and sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Linda 1/29/14
    I would like to know if someone could show me how to connect the cuff to the bootie, love the pattern, having fun with it, making it for my best friends first grand baby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my problem too Linda. I cannot figure out what the pattern means..

      Delete
  26. They are beautiful! Unfortunately I cannot crochet. Do you have a pattern for knitting these or something similar. Would really appreciate it. Many thanks.
    Ellarine Steenkamp

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am a beginner crocheted and find this confusing, I am dying to make them. Any future plans to do a video tutorial? Or is there one already out there?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Help! I'm confused. I am at the point of the cuff. Rnd 1. what chains are you referring to? It says *skip 1 ch, v st in the next ch, rep from* I'm supposed to have 10 v sts when I'm done. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you figure this out? I'm confused on this same step, and would love to be able to finish it. Where exactly is the yarn supposed to be attached in the middle of the heel? I think middle of heel as being the top of the back of the ankle... CONFUSED as well! Help please LollyT!

      Delete
  29. I have made several pair of these sweet and adorable booties. I have schedule a blog post for 4/2/14 with a link to this post. I hope you are OK with it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am crocheting these booties. Do I count the V stitch as one stitch? I'm not sure if I should continue having 20 sts. for rounds 4-8. Should I have 20V Stitchts? Rounds 5-8 am I correct in going into the space in the centre of the V stitch where the one st is? I have already finished one pair of booties. I had no problems with the crocodile st. My boot part was different on each bootie. I know now it was because of the st count and exactly where I should be placing the V Stitch. One boot looks perfect but I'm not good at reading my sts and counting the rows. I am working on it. I have started another pair as I consider this to be an excellent tutorial. The directions are east to follow but it's my lack of crochet talk that is messing me up. I have made loads of afghans but have just started doing projects like this one. Actually my first. I hope you can understand what I am talking about. I realize how busy you are. Just answer if you can. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just finished my third pair of crocodiles booties. I call them petal booties, I can't stand the thought of crocodile on baby's foot. My first pair were trial booties. I did this because of my own lack of knowledge about counting sts. I learned so much from your pattern. I have made two more really pretty pairs. I had no trouble doing the crocodile st. Your description was so clear. I also learned to read the pattern right through as it then became clear how to count the v st. I always thought a st was one counted as one. The V st is made up of 3 sts but counted as one. Live and learn.thank you so much. For a lovely pattern and a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just noticed that we can post picture to Ravelry. I haven't even taken a picture with iPad but will read up on it. Then will read up how to post it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. In the picture, it looks like rows 4-8 have the same number of v stitches (10). Is that true? The way I'm doing it increases the number of v stitches by one each row. The chain 2, chain 1, hdc is between the first and last v stitches of the previous row rather than in the v. Can you help me out?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I need a little help! when I get to the heal, do i do 3 chains and hdc into the same stitch that the v stitch was done in after I turn? I did it that way and when I got to the cuff, I didn't have 10 v stitches..

    ReplyDelete
  35. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO CONVERT THIS PATTERN TO LOOM KNITTING?

    ReplyDelete